The Huntington Town Clerk’s Office is in the middle of the excitement leading up to the November 3 General Election. Every registered voter in Huntington has been sent a ballot in the mail. Voters on the Huntington voter checklist on September 2 were sent a ballot in the mail by the Vermont Secretary of State’s Office; these were mailed on October 1; most arrived on October 3. Voters added to the Huntington voter checklist after September 2 were sent a ballot by this office (handwritten). You should have received yours (this page was updated on October 15).
You can vote your ballot:
1. put into the mail in the pre-addressed, postage-paid envelope. Please do this by October 28 to ensure arrival.
2. put into the drop slot located in the wall next to the front door of the TCO. This slot is available all hours.
3. bring your voted ballot to the polls and drop off.
4. bring your unvoted ballot to the polls and vote on November 3.
Ensure your ballot counts!
Be sure to follow the directions, if you are not coming to the polls on Election Day.
1. Make your choices (vote on both sides of the ballot).
2. Fill out and sign the certificate envelope.
3. Put your voted ballot in the certificate envelope and seal the envelope.
4. Return the ballot in time to arrive before the polls close on November 3.
The Huntington Town Clerk is the first recipient of the VMCTA’s Award of Appreciation. Heidi Racht received this award at the Association’s annual awards banquet in recognition of her initiation of and work on the Education and Certification Committee’s advanced certification program.
The Town Clerk’s Office administers a variety of services to the residents of the town.
The duties of the Town Clerk, include:
- Caretaker of the town’s land records (deeds, mortgages, liens, surveys, and all manner of related documents), indexed per State Statute.
- Caretaker of vital records (births, marriages, deaths and burials) and other documents, as authorized by State Statute.
- Issuing marriage licenses
- Registration of dogs
- Car registration renewals
- Issuance of Vermont hunting and fishing licenses.
- Clerk of the Board of Civil Authority and Board of Abatement, including scheduling meetings and hearings, contacting appellants, research on background files and other materials; taking minutes and producing draft decisions; mailing out decisions per state statute; maintaining files.
- Elections Management: A very important role of the all Town and City Clerks in Vermont is registering voters, managing the voter checklist and the running the elections, as the Presiding Officer of Elections.
This includes, but is not limited to, keeping track of elected offices and contacting incumbents for term; petitions and postings for candidates to run for office; producing ballots, managing the voter checklist and meeting absentee voter requests; posting election documents as per state statute; preparing for and supervising all aspects of elections; election reports including voter participation and ballot results; disposition of election ballots per statute.
- Appoint an Assistant Clerk, per statute. Supervise and provide training of assistant in order to keep the office functioning in the absence of the Town Clerk.
- Produce certified copies of vital records.
- Provide assistance to researchers, including vault information: land records, property transfer information, tax bills, etc..
- Keeper of documents, historical and other, such as Town Reports, Grand Lists, Property Transfer Tax Returns, School Registers.
- Record minutes of all Boards and keep in binders by year; upload to town website per State Statute.
The office is open extended hours on Mondays to accommodate Huntingtonians who work out of town. However, if something comes up, residents are welcome to call Town Clerk Heidi Racht at home (802-434-2690) to conduct business outside the posted hours.
Town Clerk: Heidi Racht
Assistant Clerk: Mary Keller-Butler
The Town Clerk is elected by the voters of Huntington to serve a three-year term (expires 2021) on Town Meeting Day.
The assistant clerk is appointed by the Town Clerk, per statute.
Mon:(8 am-7 pm), Tues-Thurs: (8 am-3 pm), Friday: closed
(additional hours by appointment)
4930 Main Road
Huntington, VT 05462 – For location see the map in the right side bar –>
Email: huntingtonclerk -at- gmavt -dot- net
Forms and Documents: