BUSINESS AT THE TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE
Many of the application documents you need to do business with in this office are located on this website. If you cannot find them easily, let us know!
MARRIAGE LICENSES: You can find the application form here and email it to the Town Clerk. As is the usual practice, you will be sent a proof. We will need to talk and set up a time to meet and sign the document.
BIRTH AND DEATH CERTIFICATES: Certified vital records can be ordered by downloading the form. Click here. You can email it to the office, along with a copy of your ID (usually Vermont Driver’s License). It remains $10 for the certified copy, which is set by statute. We will talk about how to get this to you.
DOG REGISTRATION: 2022 registration continues, $13 / $15 if you want it mailed to you. Licenses are good through April 1, 2023. Here is a link for an application to fill out and mail in or drop off. There is a drop slot next to the front door. Your tags and registration can be mailed back to you, or you can stop by the office in person and register your canine. Please call ahead so we can be ready for you. Please note that the registration fee is the same for all dogs. A Rabies Clinic will take place on March 23 from 9-12 at the Town Garage. Shots are $20 each. More information forthcoming.
CAR REGISTRATION RENEWALS: Call for an appointment to do the paperwork. You can also come to the office during open hours.
NOTARY PUBLIC: Call for an appointment or stop in during open hours.
VOTER REGISTRATION: Voter registration can be done online at http://olvr.sec.state.vt.us
LAND RECORDS RESEARCHERS:
The office is open for research by appointment only.
To make an appointment to do research, please email the Town Clerk and the sign-up link will be sent to you. In the interest of efficiency and reduction in carbon footprint, many of our documents are now online through the COTT system or can be pulled and emailed. In the meantime, we will do our best to assist you by emailing documents when provided with the specifics.
1. Available, by request, indices of Grantors and Grantees from 2004 to December 27, 2021. Each document is in PDF form and is 590 pages. Heidi has already sent these via email to attorneys and other professionals, who are on her list. These documents can be emailed at no cost. You might want to consider saving us all some time by being on the email list since you will get notice of closures and other relevant office news. You can also so click here to download the latest version.
2. Any land records requests will require book and page. The documents can be emailed, along with an invoice. $1 per page, usual rate.
3. The Town Clerk’s Office has Listers’ Cards, which can be emailed to you. Listers’ Cards are $1 per page, and this is the regular rate.
5. As part of the research packet, the Town Clerk can also email you a copy of a tax bill with the other documents. $1.
The Huntington Town Clerk’s and Treasurer’s Office is available to those who need access. Please keep in mind that the services that were provided during COVID to have documents emailed will continue. You can also call for basic information. This is a public service office and we are happy to help you.
The Town Clerk’s Office administers a variety of services to the residents of the town.
The duties of the Town Clerk, include:
- Caretaker of the town’s land records (deeds, mortgages, liens, surveys, and all manner of related documents), indexed per State Statute.
- Caretaker of vital records (births, marriages, deaths and burials) and other documents, as authorized by State Statute.
- Issuing marriage licenses.
- Registration of dogs.
- Car registration renewals.
- Issuance of Vermont hunting and fishing licenses.
- Clerk of the Board of Civil Authority and Board of Abatement, including scheduling meetings and hearings, contacting appellants, research on background files and other materials; taking minutes and producing draft decisions; mailing out decisions per state statute; maintaining files.
- Elections Management: A very important role of the all Town and City Clerks in Vermont is registering voters, managing the voter checklist and the running the elections, as the Presiding Officer of Elections.
This includes, but is not limited to, keeping track of elected offices and contacting incumbents for term; petitions and postings for candidates to run for office; producing ballots, managing the voter checklist and meeting absentee voter requests; posting election documents as per state statute; preparing for and supervising all aspects of elections; election reports including voter participation and ballot results; disposition of election ballots per statute.
- Appoint an Assistant Clerk, per statute. Supervise and provide training of assistant in order to keep the office functioning in the absence of the Town Clerk.
- Produce certified copies of vital records.
- Provide assistance to researchers, including vault information: land records, property transfer information, tax bills, etc.
- Keeper of documents, historical and other, such as Town Reports, Grand Lists, Property Transfer Tax Returns, School Registers.
- Record minutes of all Boards and keep in binders by year; upload to town website per State Statute.
The office is open extended hours on Mondays to accommodate Huntingtonians who work out of town. However, if something comes up, residents are welcome to call Town Clerk Heidi Racht at home (434-2690) to conduct business outside the posted hours.
Town Clerk: Heidi Racht
Assistant Clerk: Mary Keller-Butler
The Town Clerk is elected by the voters of Huntington to serve a three-year term (expires 2024) on Town Meeting Day.
The Assistant Clerk is appointed by the Town Clerk, per statute.
Older News, but Still May Be Interesting to Some:
The Huntington Town Clerk is the first recipient of the VMCTA’s Award of Appreciation. Heidi Racht received this award at the Association’s annual awards banquet in recognition of her initiation of and work on the Vermont Municipal Clerk and Treasurer’s Association’s Education and Certification Committee’s advanced certification program.
Mon: 8-12, 12:30-7, Tues-Thurs: 8-12, 12:30-3; additional hours by appointment
4930 Main Road
Huntington, VT 05462 – For location see the map in the right side bar –>
Civil Marriage License Application & Other Wedding Documents: